May 1, 2014

Pick of the Week: The One With the Mermaids


Pick of the Week is... well, it's exactly what it sounds like. Once a week I pick a book. I may pick said book because I'm super excited about it. Or maybe I was super excited about it, forgot how excited I was, and am now using this to refresh my memory. It's also possible said book was blurring in with all the other books in my brain and I want to get re-excited about it. Another possible option is that I just want to flail about a book I'm about to read/am currently reading. Basically, I'm writing a love-note to a book I haven't started/finished yet to build hype for both myself and my reader. Which doesn't sound like a smart plan, but, oh well, too late.

And in case you want more of an origin story, you can check out my first Pick of the Week post.

This week's pick has a reaaaaaally pretty cover. Really pretty. It's also got this huge marketing budget. The ARCs were sent out in this fancy package that definitely wowed me when I saw it. Also, this book is written by an author a lot of people I know rave about.

Do you know what book I'm talking about?

Yes?

No?

Okay, I tell you.


I don't think I've ever read a mermaid book before. I know there are some, but I think I've heard not-so-great things about most of them? I'm not sure. Either way, I've been on a roll with Disney books recently, I really like the main character's name (Seraphina - the last book I read including a main character with that name was Seraphina and I loved it), and this cover is really pretty. Also, hello, guys, is that underwater palace on FIRE in that cover? Yes, please, tell me more.

Anyway, this is my next read. I'm going to finish Pivot Point so nothing bad happens to me when Debby comes for BEA and then I'm going to find out all about these mermaids and report back.

Are you excited about this one too or do you usually pass on mermaid books? Also, what books are YOU excited about this week? What's your big pick that you think I should know about? Let me know in the comments below!